The Malnad Ultra is conducted in an area near Ballavara in the State of Karnataka, India. This is a very remote area with poor mobile networks. We request participants to be completely familiar with the travel information provided here before making any reservations.
The nearest big town is Birur (see map). Birur is well connected by road and the railway network and is about 45 minutes from Ballavara. Regardless of how you plan to get to our event, you will have to pass through Birur! We will provide relevant information here for all your possible options.
If you have opted for the Package offered by our partner Active Holiday Company, then you must make your travel plans to Birur and back from Birur. Those who have purchased this package will be transferred from Birur to their accommodation (these package rooms are in and around Ballavara) and back to Birur. If you have not purchased the package, you will have to make your way to Ballavara. All our event shuttle buses to the pre-race Dinner as well as Start Line will operate from Ballavara near The Last Resort homestay. If you are coming in your private vehicle, you will have to park here and board our shuttle buses.
By Train (Recommended)
Traveling by train is the fastest way to get to Birur! With Station Code RRB, Birur is well connected on the Indian Railways network. There are several trains running from Bengaluru (also called Bangalore) and other major cities to Birur. Travel time is between 3-4 hours by train from Bengaluru.
If you are coming from North Bangalore or the Bangalore International Airport, Yeshwantpur (Station code YPR) is a better option. If you are coming from other areas, board at the Main station (Station code SBC).
We recommend the following trains:
- Train 12079 Jan Shatabdi Express from Bengaluru City (SBC) to Birur (RRB) departing 6:00 a.m and arriving 9:15 a.m on October 12, 2018
- Train 11022 Chalukya Express from Yeshwantpur (YPR) to Birur (RRB) departing 6:30 a.m and arriving 10:05 a.m on October 12, 2018
- Train 12725 Intercity Express from Bengaluru City (SBC) to Birur (RRB) departing 1:00 p.m and arriving 4:30 p.m on October 12, 2018
- Return on Train 12726 Intercity Express from Birur (RRB) to Bengaluru (SBC) departing 10:10 a.m and arriving 2:05 p.m on October 14, 2018
- Return on Train 16580 Yeshwantpur Express from Birur (RRB) to Yeshwantpur (YPR) departing 4:40 p.m and arriving 9:00 p.m on October 14, 2018
- Return on Train 12080 Jan Shatabdi Express from Birur (RRB) to Bengaluru (SBC) departing 5:50 p.m and arriving 9:25 p.m on October 14, 2018
Birur is very well connected by Public and Private buses from Bengaluru. Look for suitable buses to destinations such as Shivamogga (Shimoga) and Bhadravathi, and you will find plenty of air-conditioned options. The direct buses to Birur are not air-conditioned coaches. Journey time will be about 5 hours. You can book your tickets on online sites or the Government Bus Service.
Bus travel will likely take couple hours longer than train because of heavy traffic getting in and out of Bengaluru. Traffic is likely to be heavier than normal because it is the holiday season.
If you have purchased the Active Holiday Package, you can walk to the railway station adjacent to Birur Bus Stand for your bus transfer to Ballavara.
If you are coming from other parts of India or International destinations, Bengaluru (also called Bangalore, with airport code BLR) is your best option. Bengaluru is connected via direct flights from all major Indian airports and major International airports in Europe and Asia.
Once you reach Bangalore, you can choose to travel by train or public bus to Birur. Please note that travel time from Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru to the main Bengaluru City Bus Stand or the Bengaluru City Railway Station (SBC) can take up to 2 hours in peak traffic. The Yeshwantpur Railway Station (YPR) is closer to the airport and travel time is approximately 1:00 hour.
If you are coming as a group, you can consider renting a Cab or Van direct to Ballavara from the airport. The Bangalore airport is located on the north-side and you can reach NH 75 without entering Bangalore city and encountering that traffic.
By Road (Private Transport, Cab)
If you choose to drive your own car or take a cab, we hope that you are car-pooling! Roads are narrow and mobile networks are flaky, so you should be familiar with these instructions before you get on the road.
We recommend that you leave Bengaluru before 6:30 a.m to avoid traffic. There are fabulous breakfast options on the highway between Kunigal and C.R Patna.
Please use the following driving directions instead of the route recommended by Google Maps:
- Take NH 75 from Bangalore to Kunigal (70 kms)
- Continue on NH 75 to Channarayapattana or C.R Patna (80 kms) towards Hassan. Be sure to take the bypass at C.R Patna
- On the bypass, turn right onto State Highway 7 to Arsikere (50 kms)
- At Arsikere, you will intersect NH 73/NH 206. Turn left towards Shivamogga/Honnavara
- Drive on NH 206 until Birur (46 kms)
- At the circle near Birur Railway Station, take the left fork towards Lingadahalli (15 kms)
- Drive through Lingadahalli until you arrive at a T-Junction. Turn Left
- Within a few hundred yards, take the right fork towards Ballavara (6 kms). All recommended homestays are in this area.
Regardless of whether you have your own vehicle, you must use our shuttle buses to reach the venue for the pre-race dinner or the event. If you have purchased the Active Holiday package, your rooms are either walking distance from the shuttle buses or you will be picked up and dropped off from your accommodation.
Local Map (Ballavara)
The homestays in and around Ballavara are shown on the maps below for your reference. Please note the location of The Last Resort. This is the pick-up and drop point for our shuttle buses.